Lasagna

Christmas Eve table with Becky standing near the tree

1 lb. ground beef
(not sure of amount – it wasn't legible on the original card)
½ lb. sausage (hot if you like)
1 clove garlic
1 T. chopped parsley
1 T. basil
1 ½ t. salt
1-1 # (large) can pear tomatoes
1-12 oz. can tomato paste

Mix above ingredients together.

2-12 oz. container cottage cheese (or 1 Ricotta)
3 eggs, beaten
2 t. salt
½ t. pepper
2 T. parsley
½ c. parmesan cheese

Mix above ingredients together.

1 lb. mozzarella cheese
½ box lasagna noodles (about 10)

Layer: Meat sauce (small amount) - 4-5 Noodles - ½ Cottage cheese mixture - ½ Mozzarella cheese - ½ meat mixture - Repeat. - Mozzarella cheese on top. Bake 350° for 40 minutes. Serves 10.

Recipe from Joan Gibbs.

~~~

Whenever we came to visit when I was a kid, grandma would ask what I wanted her to make for dinner and I would always enthusiastically reply: "Lasagna!". There was nothing better than some homemade lasagna after traveling in the car with your parents all day. And I would also beg her to make both the meaty, red-sauce lasagna and the veggie, white-sauce lasagna--two great tastes that taste great together!

Years later, grandma tried to pull a fast one on me by using a Stouffer's frozen lasagna. I was sitting at the kitchen table chewing on my not-so-good lasagna, trying to put on a good face. I didn't want to hurt poor grandma's feelings! She had put her heart into making that lasagna for me, and I wasn't about to complain that it no longer tasted special. And then it came out. Stouffer's! She thought I wouldn't notice. Sorry, but you can't buy grandma lasagna in the frozen foods aisle of the grocery store.

No comments:

Post a Comment